Monday, May 18, 2009

Everything is Food Food Food

I have been obsessed with food lately. I think it is due to the baby being due in one month, and to the fact that going to the grocery store and preparing food in a completely different country takes a lot of brain power now. So I thought I'd clue you all in to what grocery shopping and food in general is like in Denmark. People here apparently consume a lot of open-faced sandwiches made with a variety of very dense breads, McDonald's (there are two or three in our city alone), pizza, and coffee/tea. In addition, everything is bought in small quantities. The only thing bought in bulk seems to be beer. A standard box of rice contains about 3 cups rice, enough for two dinners. We are trying to adapt our usual American shopping list to what we can find/afford in Denmark. The following is just a bit of Denmark food wisdom I've developed.

  • Chicken: They have it! Chicken breasts are $5.00/pound on sale.
  • Peanut Butter: It is a luxury here at $5.00 for a very small bottle.
  • Yogurt: Is very yummy and tastes homemade. I can't recall the price.
  • Baking Soda: I haven't found it yet. Anyone have any cookies recipes that don't reguire baking soda? I did find baking powder and yeast (which is very very smelly) though.
  • Cookies: A bag of cheap store-brand wafer cookies goes for $4.00 here in DK.
  • Apples: So scruptious and juicy here.
  • Carrots: I got a steal of a deal (for real) at the farmers markets for $3.00 a bunch. They are very good.
  • Juice: Very expensive. I have yet to break down and buy it. It is all bottled or boxed. No frozen juice concentate here.
  • Milk: We are big milk drinkers, but appparently the Danes don't drink much of it, as it is only sold in liters. Milk is very good here. We buy it at about $1.00 a liter. So you math whizzes out there can figure what it would be for a gallon.

Hope that this wasn't too boring of post. I've got to go find something to eat now. Anyone else hungry?

6 comments:

Krista said...

Yes, don't recall the price on delicious, home-made tasting yogurt? Sounds like it may not matter how much it is, eh? But it is too bad about the peanut butter, I probably have a spoonful of it everyday...Good luck with the shopping and I hope you found something great to eat! I did have a chocolate chip cookie recipe without soda in it, I'll send it via e-mail. (It has self-rising flour though, whatever that is.)

SheilaO said...

Ali, I once made some chocolate chips cookies with a cake mix and mayonaise. I'll try to look it up and send it to you. It was good!

Eve said...

Enjoyed looking at your blog a little. Glad you guys are there safe and on your way.
- Nathan (NOT Beutler)

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

When I was living in France they sold baking soda in little packets like those sugar packets people use for coffee. All recipes called for a certain # of packets instead of number of teaspoons. So maybe that will help you know what to look for. It's amazing how different things can be in different countries. Good luck with everything!

Meg said...

Wow, sounds like you'll be having to change some major eating habits (milk, peanut butter-we eat that almost every day!) Glad the yogurt is yummy. I found a recipe for making your own in the crockpot that I can't wait to try as soon as I feel all the nausea gone, but then again, if milk is so expensive for you, it's probably better to buy the yogurt. :)

Beutler Family said...

I found baking soda! Yeah! Thanks for all of your tips and tidbits.