Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sewing For the Brave

I've been doing websurfing on various sewing projects. I am not a sewer. I have only successfully threaded my sewing machine once. But I thought that these were cool. So if you are feeling brave, try some. Or if you are a sewing wiz, give me feedback as to whether or not a project is "worth the trouble" and such. Or...you could make them as a gift for someone very special (hint, hint).

  • Nursing Cover (Hooter Hider/Bebe au Lait): These are all the rage in Provo. I have had several cousins tell me that they are wonderful. I've never tried one, but thought they looked cool and practical.



  • Nursing Shirt: So this website says that you can make a nursing shirt out of two regular shirts. If this is possible, it would be much cheaper than buying a $20 or more shirt from stores like Motherhood and Motherwear. Has anyone tried such a thing?


  • Flirty Aprons: I used to walk by these bib-aprons in the mall and think, "what a waste of money" and "who cares how the apron looks, its for cooking" and so forth. Then I tried one on at a women's expo and wearing one of these for one minute boosted my ego about twenty times. I fell in love with them but not the price ($30). Now, as for patterns...??? Here are some that I have found that are close, but not quite to the original "Flirty Apron". Frilly Reversible Apron, Retro Black Tie Apron, Old Fashioned Aprons, Pleat Tutorial, Ruffled Panel Tutorial. Can anyone come up with a pattern?
Okay that's it for now. Except for I more thing. I have a sister-in-law (Mandy Beyeler) that is so very creative and handy with all things crafty. Here is the link to her blog with how-to directions for things. Here is the link to her store where she sells personalized shirts and such.

4 comments:

Mandy Beyeler said...

Abi, I made a nursing blanket and it was Super Easy - you could definitely do it, but I'll make one for you - happy baby! The hardest part is deciding on what kind of material - do you like big bold prints, or little delicate prints? any special colors? think about it and email me....

Lewis Family said...

I don't do nursing blankets (the kids and I get too hot and I keep a nursing top wardrobe, so I am not showing off anything in public), but I love nursing tops. I've got a few from motherhood, but with EJ I bought a bunch of tank tops (as large as I could) and cut the arm holes larger, then I just wear them under any shirt that coordinates with them. I also have a couple of those really long stretchy spaghetti strap tops that serve the same purpose as the tank tops except you pull them down differently. And I am determined to make myself one of those cute "flirty" aprons, too. Aprons are really easy. Come visit me in Houston and I'll show you how!

Aneesa Bee said...

My favorite nursing accessory is a tank top I bought at DownEast Outfitters and then I cut custom holes in it, and stitched them with a zigzag stitch. I still wear them ALL the time! As for the hooter hider, I tried one a couple times, and my SIL had a store bought one that worked really well. The homemade one I tried wasn't designed quite right and it required a lot of adjusting to make it work. So make sure you have tried one before you use the pattern--they're not all created equally. AND on another note, as soon as you find out what that wee one is, I'll get started on some baby shoes for you :-)
Aneesa

JK said...

Hi Abi

Sorry you don't know me, but I'm good friends with Becky and used to be friends with Jacob and Jared too. Congratulations on Baby #3. I saw your sewing ideas and decided to check them out.

Honestly I'm not a brave sewer at all, I attempted to make a nursing "cloak" while nursing my baby boy but it didn't work out very well. :) But here's an alternative idea.

Instead of getting creative in the sewing department a friend of mine just bought a kids pop-up play tent like this one:

http://cftoys.com/bacapltebypl.html

She used it to nurse her baby when she took her kids to the park. It might look kinda funny inside a building but always gave plenty of privacy when she was out of doors. Plus it folds up and fits in the diaper bag. They are very summer friendly too.They range from $30-60+ dollars but can be a fun toy for the kids outside of the nursing convenience.

Good luck and say hi to your family for me. -Kari Thomas Crowther justkarcrow@gmail.com